Release type: Joint Media Release


$5,000 support for outer regional school leavers


The Hon Alan Tudge MP
Minister for Education and Youth
The Hon Andrew Gee MP
Minister for Decentralisation and Regional Education
Minister Assisting the Minister for Trade and Investment

Outer regional and remote students who need to relocate to study can still apply for a $5,000 support payment under the Morrison-McCormack Government’s Tertiary Access Payment (TAP).

Minister for Education and Youth Alan Tudge said the payments would help students who had to relocate more than 90 minutes from their home for full-time tertiary study.

“We know it can be tough for kids in remote areas to get a tertiary qualification, simply because of where they live and the additional financial burden of relocating to study,” Minister Tudge said.

“A $5,000 helping hand will make all the difference for young Australians who are leaving home to study and will help cover costs like accommodation, groceries, bills and textbooks.

“The payments will also help improve the participation rates of Indigenous students and contribute to our Closing the Gap targets.”

Minister for Decentralisation and Regional Education Andrew Gee said the Government was committed to supporting all school leavers, particularly those in outer regional and rural communities.

“This payment was a key recommendation made by Dr Denis Napthine in the National Regional, Rural and Remote Education Strategy, which our Government committed to implement,” Minister Gee said.

“We know remote and outer regional students who put off study after leaving school, generally have less likelihood of completing a degree. This measure helps deliver equality of educational opportunity for country students.

“This payment will support those outer regional school leavers who have committed to further education this year and encourage more school leavers into study in the years ahead.”

Eligible students relocating to study at a university will need to apply for the TAP through their participating university. Students relocating to study at a non-university higher education provider or a vocational education and training provider will need to apply through Services Australia.

To check the eligibility requirements and find out how to apply, go to either the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website and the Services Australia website.