Minister for Education, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, today announced the establishment of the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) Advisory Council.
The new Advisory Council will help uphold high standards and quality throughout higher education in Australia, protecting our reputation at home and abroad while reducing unnecessary regulation and red tape for the sector.
Under its Terms of Reference the Advisory Council will advise TEQSA and the Minister on all aspects of ‘minimising regulatory intervention relating to Australian higher education, consistent with ensuring accountability for quality’.
The Advisory Council will be chaired by Professor Peter Shergold AC, Chancellor of the University of Western Sydney and former Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet.
“I am very pleased to have someone of the calibre of Professor Shergold leading this Council. He will be supported by four Council members – all highly regarded figures in their fields,” Mr Pyne said.
“I look forward to working with the Council to uphold standards and quality in higher education while also reducing the regulatory burden, including excessive reporting requirements, where possible.
“We must ensure the national higher education quality agency, TEQSA, is working as efficiently and effectively as possible in fulfilling its most important function of upholding quality across all providers, especially through provider registration and course accreditation.
“Creation of an advisory council for TEQSA was one of the recommendations of the Review of Higher Education Regulation undertaken by Professor Kwong Lee Dow and Professor Valerie Braithwaite.
“I have said that we will implement all the recommendations of the Lee Dow-Braithwaite Review of Higher Education Regulation and the PhillipsKPA Review of Reporting Requirements for Universities, and the Council will provide invaluable support and advice to me on this work.
“Easing the burden of unnecessary regulation while upholding quality is a practical expression of the Government’s respect for university autonomy and our support for the competition that drives the excellence, diversity and innovation that we need.
“I am also looking forward to the forthcoming consultation on the Higher Education Standards Panel’s draft Standards, publication of which is expected soon.”
TEQSA Advisory Council members
- Professor Peter Shergold AC (Chair), Chancellor of the University of Western Sydney and former Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Emeritus Professor Alan Robson AO, former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Western Australia, and Chair of the Higher Education Standards Panel
- Professor Greg Craven, Vice-Chancellor of Australian Catholic University
- Ms Karen Thomas, partner of lawyers Fisher Jeffries with extensive experience in risk management
- The Hon Phil Honeywood, National Executive Director of the International Education Association of Australia, with extensive experience of private and public higher education.
For more information on the TEQSA Advisory Council, including the Council’s terms of reference, visit: www.education.gov.au/teqsa-advisory-council