My School website improvements agreed
A raft of improvements aimed at making the My School website even more user friendly have been agreed at today’s Education Council meeting.
The Minister for Education and Training, the Hon Christopher Pyne MP, said the upgrades would ensure My School continues to be a valuable online education resource for parents, teachers and schools.
“The aim of the improvements is to make the site as user-friendly and easy to access as possible, giving parents more options for comparing schools as well as providing a greater focus on students’ progress,” Mr Pyne said.
“The Australian Government remains committed to My School as a key part of the range of school reporting and accountability measures.
“My School provides important school level reporting for the use of parents, school communities and the general public and it is important that we continue to build and improve on it.”
The Australian Government committed to a review of the My School website as part of its election commitment and Students First policy.
The review identified improvements to the delivery of data and information on My School, which more broadly supports parental engagement and school accountability as part of the national schools data reform.
The review report was released in March earlier this year, along with the Government’s response - Making My School better.
Improvements to My School agreed by the Education Council today include:
• Making the site easier to use and understand
• More user choice on comparing schools
• Delivering more data other than literacy and numeracy on schools, including allowing schools to add data
• Increasing the focus on student progress
• Better access for researchers
• Real time updates of information
• Making the site mobile friendly with content accessible across mobile devices, such as tablets and smart phones.
The My School website is jointly owned by the Australian Government and the states and territories, and is managed by Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority.