Release type: Media Release


Support for country students relocating to study


Senator the Hon Bridget McKenzie
Minister for Regionalisation, Regional Communications and Regional Education
Minister for Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience

Young Australians from country areas can apply from tomorrow, 1 January 2022, for support to help them relocate for higher level tertiary study.

This year more students than ever before will be eligible for the Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) with eligible school leavers studying a Certificate IV or above able to gain access to a payment of either up to $5,000 or $3,000.

Minister for Regional Education Senator the Hon Bridget McKenzie said regional students were twice as likely as metropolitan students to move away for university.

“Growing up in rural Victoria, I understand that the cost of relocating particularly to major cities can be a major barrier to participating in further studies after completing school,” Minister McKenzie said. 

“This, coupled with the emotional stress of moving away from family and social networks, can put a significant burden on young people considering their future.

“Our Government is committed to relieving some of this burden by helping with expenses such as bond for accommodation, rent, household bills, groceries and textbooks.

“This is an important way we are helping to even the playing field between students in city and country areas and ensure all students – no matter where they live – have access to the same high-quality educational opportunities.

“For the first time students from inner regional areas will also be able to gain access to this support and I encourage them to take advantage of this opportunity.”

Students can check their eligibility and apply through Services Australia at Tertiary Access Payment - Services Australia. They can also look at other support payments that may be available through Services Australia such as Relocation Scholarships.