Speak up for education in the 21st century
Parents, teachers and interested members of the community have an historic opportunity to contribute to the direction of schooling in Australia.
The Minister for Education, Julia Gillard, today invited people to outline their visions for the future through the third National Declaration on Educational Goals for Young Australians.
Developed by the Ministerial Council for Education, Employment, Training and YouthAffairs (MCEETYA), the declaration is a vital step for all Education Ministers to realise a comprehensive and forward-looking vision for Australian schooling.
The draft declaration complements the direction for Australian schooling being developed through the broader COAG participation and productivity reform process.
This process seeks to ensure that all Australian school students gain the knowledge and skills necessary to participate in society and employment in a globalised economy.
The debate on education is a critical one for any country to ensure a dynamic, progressive and prosperous future.
Young people need educational opportunities now so they can respond to political, environmental, social and technological challenges in the future.
Along with state and territory governments, the Australian Government is committed to working with all school sectors to realise the educational goals for young Australians.
The 2008 draft declaration commits signatories to a range of actions, including:
- developing stronger partnerships with parents, the community and business;
- strengthening early childhood education and supporting effective transitions from early childhood to middle years’ development and pathways beyond;
- improving the quality of teaching and school leadership and developing world-class curriculum and assessment;
- improving educational outcomes for disadvantaged young Australians, especially those from Indigenous and low socioeconomic backgrounds; and
- increasing accountability and transparency.
The Australian Government is committed to supporting all young Australians to become successful learners, confident individuals and active and informed citizens.
To view the draft declaration and submit comments, visit the MCEETYA website tomorrow http://www.mceetya.edu.au/mceetya/natgoals,24767.htmlor see attached. Submissions can be made until 3 October 2008.