Michael Chaney AO will chair a new International Education Advisory Council to advise the Australian Government in developing a new long-term strategy for the international education sector.
“Building on the Government’s response to the Knight Review of International Student Visas, the new council will provide high level advice to the Government on the challenges and opportunities facing international education,” said Senator Chris Evans, Minister for Tertiary Education.
“The Council is well placed to contribute to the Government’s development of a five-year national strategy to support the sustainability and quality of international education.
“I have asked the Council for early advice on trends in international education and on current and proposed policies affecting the sector.”
“With his extensive experience across a wide range of industry sectors, Mr Chaney will provide leadership to the Advisory Council and help bring a strategic approach to the future of international education in Australia,” Senator Evans said.
“Membership of the Council also comprises eminent people from Australia’s education and business sectors including The Hon Bruce Baird AM, who headed the review of the Education Services for Overseas Students Act, and former Western Australian Premier, The Hon Dr Geoff Gallop AC.
Today’s announcement complements Australian Government measures to strengthen the international education sector, including:
- reforms to the student visa program recommended by the Knight Review;
- strengthening the registration criteria for providers of education services to overseas students;
- extending the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth Ombudsman to include students of private registered providers; and
- moving to establish a single agency to safeguard the interests of students if a provider closes.
The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations will provide secretariat support to the International Education Advisory Council.
Terms of Reference for the Advisory Council are available at www.aei.gov.au. A list of Council members is attached.
INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION ADVISORY COUNCIL
Michael Chaney AO
- Chairman of the National Australia Bank
- Chairman of Woodside Petroleum Limited
- Chancellor of the University of Western Australia
The Hon Bruce Baird AM
- Led the Review of the Education Services for Overseas Students Act
Ian Chubb AC
- Chief Scientist for Australia
- Chief Executive Officer, Australian Council for Private Education and Training
The Hon Dr Geoff Gallop AC
- Former Premier of Western Australia
Margaret Gardner AO
- Vice-Chancellor and President, RMIT University
- Senior Partner and Managing Director, Boston Consulting Group Australia and New Zealand
Pro-Vice Chancellor (International), Griffith University;
Vice President, Asia Pacific Association for International Education
- Pro-Vice Chancellor (International), Griffith University;
- Former Australian Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China
Virginia Simmons AO
- Director, Virsis Consulting; former Board Member of TAFE Directors Australia
- Chief Executive, Business Council of Australia